“He wanted life to be fair… It’s a dangerous word when you’re at rock bottom.”
For Ryota, Rikka, Kuma, Yudah,
and all the other Stars on the Hill by the Bay.
- Chapter 1: The Princess’s Dilemma
- Chapter 2: All the Queen’s Sons
- Chapter 3: The Chase
- Chapter 4: Home Again
- Chapter 5: Test of the Firstborn
- Chapter 6: Perseverance
- Chapter 7: Second Thoughts
- Chapter 8: Test of the Second-born
- Chapter 9 The Call
- Chapter 10: What Stacia Knows
- Chapter 11: Together Again
- Chapter 12: A Family Matter
- Intermission I: The Prologue that Wasn’t*
- Chapter 13: Separate Ways
- Chapter 14: Welcome
- Chapter 15: Peace Offering
- Chapter 16: A Proper Suit
- Chapter 17: Arrivals
- Chapter 18: The Blue Island
- Chapter 19: Anathema
- Chapter 20: The Kindness of Ravens
- Intermission II: The Prince and the Thatcher*
- Chapter 21: Test of the Third Born
- Chapter 22: Trouble Comes Home
- Chapter 23: Learning to Stand
- Chapter 24: Plumb Line
- Chapter 25: Peer Pressure
- Chapter 26: Reversal
- Name Index
*Question: Is pausing to announce an intermission before an intermission an antemission?
Setting: Tishina, the Khazarim Ruins, the Underworld.
Time: Once upon a C.E., about two generations since the end of Skomorokh.
Characters (in order of location, appearance):
- Morya, once a baker’s daughter in Merya, now queen, 60s
- Symon Rurikov, the king, 70
- Martin Symonovich, his firstborn, upper 20s
- Loren Symonovich, the secondborn, lower 20s
- Ivan Symonovich, the third son, 18
- Stacia, her godmother, a tailor, 80s.
- Various soldiers, their captains, pages, and servants.
- Koschei “the Deathless,” Morya’s brother, a sorcerer, 60s
- Vasilisa “Lisa” Khazarovna, a princess, 18
- Baba Yaga (actually deathless)